Free Money For School

Money for Members of Indian Tribes to Go to College

(Indian Education-Higher Education Grant Program 15.114)
The program objective is to provide financial aid to eligible Indian students to enable them to attend accredited institutions of higher education. Members of an Indian tribe may be eligible for these grants to supplement the total financial aid package prepared by their college financial aid officer. Contact Bureau of Indian Affairs, Office of Indian Education Programs, Room MS-3512-MIB, U.S. Department of the Interior, 1849 C Street, NW, Washington, DC 20240-0001; 202-208-6123; Continue reading

$20,000 Loan Forgiveness

This program is for health worker participants who will enter into a service contract for two years with the Indian Health Service, a Federal health program for American Indians and Alaska Natives. All health professions are eligible to apply to the Loan Repayment Program however special consideration is given to nurses, nurse practitioners, mental health and physician priority medical specialties. The LRP will pay an additional 20 percent annually to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to offset the increased tax liability incurred by the participant. Contact The Indian Health Service Loan Repayment Program, Twin brook Metro Plaza — Suite 100A, 12300 Twin brook Parkway, Rockville, MD 20852; 301-443-3396; Continue reading

$13,000 Lump Sum Student Loan Forgiveness

This program is offered to first, second or third year primary care medical residents who plan to practice full-time in an underserved urban area in Minnesota. Selected participants are eligible for four years of loan forgiveness. During each year that a participant serves as a physician in an underserved urban area for a minimum of 30 hours per week for up to four years, the ORHPC will pay directly to the participant an annual lump sum (approximately $13,000). Contact the Minnesota Department of Health, Office of Rural Health and Primary Care, Attn: Loan Forgiveness Program Officer, P.O. Box 64975, St. Paul, MN 55164-0975; 800-366-5424, 651-282-6302; Continue reading

Money For Nursing Students

(Nursing Student Loans 93.364)
The Nursing Student Loan program provides for long-term, low-interest loans to full-time and half-time financially needy students pursuing a course of study leading to a diploma, associate, baccalaureate or graduate degree in nursing. To apply for this loan, contact the student financial aid office at the school where you intend to apply for admission or where you are enrolled. Contact the Division of Health Careers, Diversity and Development, Bureau of Health Professions, Health Resources and Services Administration, Public Health Service, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Administration, Parklawn Building, Room 8-34, 5600 Fishers Lane, Rockville, MD 20857; 301-443-4776; Continue reading

Money for Retired Veterans to Go to School

(All-Volunteer Force Educational Assistance 64.124)
Honorably discharged veterans can take advantage of the Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty benefits, which provides funds to pursue professional or vocational education, and even covers correspondence courses.? Veterans can receive a monthly stipend while attending school, with the amount varying depending upon date of entry into the service and length of service. Additional information and application materials are available through any regional Veterans Affairs office. Contact Department of Veterans Affairs, Central Office, Washington, DC 20420; 202-273-7132, 800-827-1000; Continue reading

Volunteer and Earn Money to Pay for School

(AmeriCorps 94.006)
AmeriCorps program provides meaningful opportunities for people to serve their country in organized efforts, fostering citizen responsibility, building their community, and providing education opportunities for those who make a serious commitment to service. Stipends can be used to support the person while they volunteer. Health care and childcare benefits may also be provided. Participants will also receive an education award, which may be used to pay for higher education or for vocational training, and may also be used to repay any existing student loans. Contact the Corporation for National and Community Service, 1201 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20525 202-606-5000, ext. 474; Continue reading

Get Help To Study

(TRIO Upward Bound 84.047)
This program generates skills and motivation necessary for success in education beyond high school among low income and potential first-generation college students and veterans. The goal of the program is to increase the academic performance and motivational levels of eligible enrollees. Eligible students must have completed the eighth grade and be between the ages of 13 and 19, enrolled in high school, and need such services to achieve their goal of college. The program provides instruction in reading, writing, study skills, and mathematics. They can provide academic, financial, or personal counseling, tutorial services, information on student financial assistance, assistance with college and financial aid applications, and more. Contact Margaret Wingfield, Federal Trio Programs, College and University Preparation and Support Team, Office of Post Secondary Education, U.S. Department of Education, 1990 K Street, NW, 7th Floor, Washington, DC 20006-8510; 202-502-7600; Continue reading

Calling All Minnesota Nursing Students!! Receive $3,000 per Year for Loan Forgiveness

This program is offered to individuals currently attending a program of study designed to prepare the individual to become either a registered nurse, RN or a licensed practical nurse, LPN. Individuals must plan to practice full-time in a nursing home or Intermediate Care Facility for Persons with Mental Retardation or Related Conditions (ICFMR) in Minnesota after completion of their educational program. Selected participants are eligible for up to four years of loan forgiveness. For each year that a participant serves as a RN or LPN in a nursing home or ICF/MR for an average of 30 hours per week, the ORHPC will pay directly to the participant an annual lump sum (approximately $3,500). Contact the Minnesota Department of Health, Office of Rural Health and Primary Care, Attn: Loan Forgiveness Program Officer, P.O. Box 64975, St. Paul, MN 55164-0975; 800-366-5424, 651-282-6302; Continue reading

Money for Disadvantaged Students to Study Nursing

(Nursing Workforce Diversity 93.178)
Schools of nursing can receive financial assistance to meet the costs of projects that increase nursing education opportunities for individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds. Money can be used for counseling, preliminary education of students, and to support a student. Students must apply to those institutions that have received the money. Contact the Division of Nursing, Bureau of Health Professions, Health Resources and Services Administration, Public Health Services, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Room 8C-26, Parklawn Building, 5600 Fishers Lane, Rockville, MD 20857; 301-443-6880; Continue reading

$3,000 a Year to Be a Merchant Marine

(State Marine Schools 20.806)
The program objective is to train merchant marine officers in State Marine Schools. You can receive $3,000 per year to train to be a merchant marine officer at a designated State Marine School. In exchange for this incentive payment program, you must commit yourself to a minimum of five years duty to the Maritime Administration. You must also remain in a reserve unit of an armed force for a minimum of eight years. Students need to apply to one of the State Marine Schools. Contact the Office of Maritime Labor and Training, Maritime Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation, 400 7th St., SW, Washington, DC 20590; 202-366-5755; 800-996-2723; Continue reading

Money for Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences Students

(Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences 47.075)
The program objective is to promote the progress of the social, behavioral, and economic science; to facilitate cooperative research activities with foreign scientists, engineers, and institutions and to support understanding of the resources invested in science and engineering in the U.S. Funds are provided for U.S. scientists and engineers to carry out studies abroad, to conduct research, to engage in joint research projects with foreign counterpart organizations, and to support international scientific workshops in the U.S. and abroad. Students must contact the Assistant Director, Social, Behavioral, and Economic Research, National Science Foundation, 4201 Wilson Blvd., Suite 935Arlington, VA 22230; 703-292-5111; Continue reading

$250 for Completed Research

The Larry Metcalf Exemplary Dissertation Award is a $250 award given in odd-numbered years for research completed in pursuit of the doctoral degree which makes a significant contribution to research in the field. The research must be outstanding in the areas of problem statement, analysis of related literature, methods and procedures, analysis of data, and discussion of results. Contact the National Council for the Social Studies, 8555 16th St., N.W., Ste. 500, Silver Spring, MD 20910; 301-588-1800; Fax: 301-588-2049; Continue reading

Money to Study the Break Up of the USSR

(Program for Study of Eastern Europe and the Independent States of the Former Soviet Union 19.300)
The program is designed to sustain and strengthen American expertise on the Commonwealth of Independent States, Georgia, the Baltic countries, and countries of Eastern Europe by supporting graduate training; advanced research; public dissemination of research data, methods, and findings; contact and collaboration among government and private specialists; and first hand experience of the (former) Soviet Union and Eastern European countries by American specialists, and more. Funds are given to nonprofit organizations and institutions of higher learning who act as intermediaries. Students must apply to those institutions that received the money. Contact the Eurasian and East European Research and Training Program, INR/RES, U.S. Department of State, 2201 C St., NW, Room 2251, Washington, DC 20520; 202-736-4572; Continue reading

Georgetown Graduates 100% Loan Forgiveness

This Program is to help JD graduates in pursuing careers in the field of public interest law. The Georgetown University Law Centers Loan Repayment Assistance Program offers eligible participants 100% forgiveness. To qualify applicants must be JD graduates from the class of 1996 and beyond. Contact the Financial Aid Office/LRAP Committee, Georgetown University Law Center, 600 New Jersey Ave., N.W., Washington, D.C. 20001; 202-662-9080; Continue reading

George Washington Law School Graduates Receive $8,000 Loan Forgiveness

This program is to assist law school graduates working in public interest employment loan forgiveness of up to $8,000 per year. The George Washington Law School Loan Reimbursement Assistance Program requires that all applicants graduated in 1990 or later, must work approximately 30 or more hours/week in a legal public interest job, and your gross annual salary minus your annual law loan repayments is equal to or less than $37,000. Contact The George Washington University Law School, 2000 H Street, NW, Washington, DC 20052; 202-994-6261; Continue reading

Opportunity to Receive College Tuition from NSA

(Stokes Educational Scholarship)
National Security Agency (NSA) will consider any student who meets the requirements below and who chooses a major in either computer science, electrical or computer engineering, languages or mathematics. Requirements consist of having a minimum SAT score of 1100 and a minimum composite ACT score of 25. Chosen students can receive college tuition, reimbursement for books, year-round salary, summer work and have a guaranteed job with the NSA. Students must work for NSA for one and a half times their length of study, which is usually about five years. Contact the National Security Agency, 9800 Savage Road, Suite 6779, Ft. George G. Mead, MD 20755-6779; 866-672-4473; Continue reading

$7,000 + Spending Money To Study Health Care

The Nursing Workforce Diversity project provides student stipends, pre-entry preparation, and retention activities. Stipends are $250 per month to eligible full-time project students. Scholarships are limited to a maximum of $7,000 per student per year for upper division nursing students. Contact the Division of Nursing, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 5600 Fishers Lane, Room 9-35, Rockville, Maryland 20857; 301-443-5688; Continue reading

$5,000 Student Loan Forgiveness

You might be able to have up to $5,000 of your Stafford Loans canceled if you are teaching in a low-income school and you are a new borrower. A new borrower is one who has no outstanding FFEL or Direct Loan balance. To qualify you must work as a full-time teacher for five consecutive years in an elementary or secondary school that has been designated as a "low-income" school. Contact The Office of Federal Student Aid Federal Perkins Loan Teacher Cancellation Program, Union Center Plaza, 8 31st Street, Washington D.C. 20202; 800-433-3243; Continue reading

New Mexico Graduates Receive $25,000

The New Mexico Commission on Higher Education has created a loan-for-service program designed to increase the number of ethnic minorities and women available to teach in an academic discipline in which ethnic minorities and women are demonstrably underrepresented in New Mexico public colleges and universities. If eligible the maximum award is $25,000 per year. Contact the New Mexico Commission on Higher Education, 1068 Cerrillos Road, Santa Fe, NM 87505; 505-476-6500; Continue reading

$15,000 Loan Forgiveness Paid Directly toYou!!

This program is offered to individuals attending a program of study designed to prepare them to become a licensed dentist. Selected participants are eligible for up to four years of loan forgiveness. There is a minimum service obligation of three years. Each year a participant must deliver service totaling 25% of their yearly patient encounters to public program or sliding fee scale patients. In turn, the ORHPC will pay directly to the participant an annual lump sum (approximately $15,000 as of 5/1/04.) Contact the Minnesota Department of Health, Office of Rural Health and Primary Care, Attn: Loan Forgiveness Program Officer, P.O. Box 64975, St. Paul, MN 55164-0975; 651-282-6302, 800-366-5424; Continue reading

$6,000 Of Student Loan Forgiveness!!

Teachers for New HampshireSM provides financial assistance in the form of a variable-interest rate, forgivable loan, covering up to 50 percent of the direct costs (tuition and fees) and the cost of books for the program, not to exceed a cumulative maximum of $6,000. Individuals who meet the application criteria are eligible to apply on an annual basis. Repayment of this loan will be forgiven for individuals who are employed as full-time teachers for three years following completion of their teacher preparation program. Contact New Hampshire Higher Education Loan Corporation, P.O. Box 2111, Concord, NH 03301; 800-330-0787; Continue reading

Over $31,000 to Fund Research in Conservation

The Conservation Guest Scholar Program at the Getty Conservation Institute supports new ideas and perspectives in the field of conservation, with an emphasis on the visual arts including sites, buildings, and objects and the theoretical underpinnings of the field. These grants are for established conservators, scientists, and professionals who have attained distinction in conservation and allied fields. Conservation Guest Scholars are in residence at the Getty Center for three to nine consecutive months. A monthly stipend of $3,500 is awarded, prorated to the actual dates of residency, up to a maximum of $31,500. In addition to the stipend, the grant also includes a workstation at the Conservation Institute, research assistance, airfare to Los Angeles, an apartment in the Getty scholar housing complex, and health benefits. Contact J. Paul Getty Trust, 1200 Getty Ctr. Dr., Suite 800, Los Angeles, CA 90049-1685; 310-440-7320; Fax: 310-440-7703; Continue reading

Scholarships for Minorities

(Higher Education Multicultural Scholars Program 10.220)
This program is designed to increase the ethnic and cultural diversity of the food and agricultural scientific and professional work force, and to advance the educational achievement of minority Americans. Money is given to colleges and universities that have a demonstrable capacity to attract, educate, and graduate minority students for careers as agriscience and agribusiness professionals. Contact the National Program Leader, Education Programs, CSREES, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Stop 2251, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250; 202-720-1973; Continue reading

50% of Your Loans Paid Off!!

If you are a graduate or undergraduate student attending an accredited engineering school and majoring in the metallurgy, minerals, or materials science fields then you may be eligible to receive loan forgiveness of half your student loans. The WAAIME Scholarship Loan Fund Program requires eligible students to only pay back 50 percent of the loan amount with no interest. Contact WAAIME, 345 East 47th Street, New York, NY 10017; 212-705-7692; Continue reading

$2,700 Grants To Go To School

(Federal Pell Grant Program 84.063)
Grants are available to students with financial need to help meet education expenses. Grants may not exceed $2,700 per year, and must be used for student’s first bachelors or other professional degree. A Free Application for Federal Student Aid is available from the Federal Student Aid Information Center, P.O. Box 84, Washington, DC 20044; 800-433-3243; {}. Contact Division of Policy Development, Office of Student Financial Assistance, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20202; 800-433-3243; Continue reading