St Nw

1100 a Month For Prescription Drugs

Almost all drug companies offer drugs for free to those that cannot afford them. Each company has a different application procedure, and your doctor must sign a form. The medications are then shipped to your doctor for you. This could relieve you of your high prescription drug costs, so it is worth the effort. Look online for the drug company’s program, then fill out the application. Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers Association, 1100 Fifteenth St., NW, Washington, DC 20005; 202-835-3400


Free Services Help You At Home

The Area 9 Agency on Aging offers Meals on Wheels, free home health aides and homemaker services. There is a waiting list for these services, so it is best to get on the list as soon as you can in planning for the future. You can call Terry at Area (Agency on Aging, 715 W. 21st St., Connersville, IN 47331; 800-458-9345. For more information on Area Agencies on Aging, contact National Association of Area Agencies on Aging, 927 15th St., NW, 6th Floor, Washington, DC 2005; 202-296-8130; Eldercare Locator 800-677-1116


10000 to fix up Mom’s home

The city of Houston offers $5,000 fix up money for the disabled and elderly in their Emergency Repair Program, and Minneapolis offers up to $10,000. The Rural Housing Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture offers special grants through their Section 504 program of up to $7,500 if you’re over 62 and need to fix up your home. Contact your city government, your county government and your local community development office to learn about local programs. If you have trouble locating your local community development office, contact National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials, 630 I St., NW, Washington, DC 20001; 202-289-3500; or Office of Community Planning and Development, P.O. Box 7189, Gaithersburg, MD 20898; 800-998-9999;For Rural Housing Service contact Single Family Housing Programs, USDA Rural Housing Service, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250; 202-720-4323.


Money to Study the Break Up of the USSR

(Program for Study of Eastern Europe and the Independent States of the Former Soviet Union 19.300)
The program is designed to sustain and strengthen American expertise on the Commonwealth of Independent States, Georgia, the Baltic countries, and countries of Eastern Europe by supporting graduate training; advanced research; public dissemination of research data, methods, and findings; contact and collaboration among government and private specialists; and first hand experience of the (former) Soviet Union and Eastern European countries by American specialists, and more. Funds are given to nonprofit organizations and institutions of higher learning who act as intermediaries. Students must apply to those institutions that received the money. Contact the Eurasian and East European Research and Training Program, INR/RES, U.S. Department of State, 2201 C St., NW, Room 2251, Washington, DC 20520; 202-736-4572; Continue reading

Part-Time Jobs In The Government

(Student Temporary Employment Program 27.003)
The program gives students 16 years of age and older an opportunity for part time temporary employment with federal agencies in order to allow them to continue their education without interruptions caused by financial pressures. Apply for this program through the youth division of the local office of the State Employment Service. Contact the Main State Employment Service office for referral to a local office. Contact Employment Service, Office of Personnel Management, 1900 E St., NW, Washington, DC 20415; 202-606-1800; Continue reading